Hatch is a business, just like yours. We solve business problems. We ask our customers and prospects what is keeping them up at night, what are their pain points. We then develop programs and resources to help guide them along their entrepreneurial journey. We are a gym for entrepreneurs.
Name of Accelerator: Hatch
Location: Norfolk, Virginia
Founder, Growth Master: Zack Miller
This article is part of our Startup Accelerator Series featuring accelerators from around the world. We hope these spotlights will assist the entrepreneur should they consider attending an accelerator program.
In two sentences or less, tell us about your accelerator and its objectives.
We strive to put the tools to build a successful business in every entrepreneur’s hands. We not only bring together every resource we can, but we are building a community of entrepreneurs.
Why is your accelerator program unique? Please describe the benefits of participation in your program.
We don’t teach out of textbooks or preach platitudes. All of our lessons and workshops come from entrepreneurs who have been there and done that. These workshops are available online so our members can watch them anywhere, anytime. The help doesn’t stop at workshops. Members are a part of a community and can reach out for help anytime they need it.
What is the most difficult part of working with startups?
Teaching people to accept and learn from failure. When an idea or project fails, you have to get right back up and try something else.
6 Startup Lessons Learned from Previous Mistakes
What do you enjoy the most; what do you find most appealing about working with entrepreneurial startups?
Seeing people take control of not just their business but their life. It is an incredible sight when someone takes the tools and motivation we provide them and genuinely puts them to work; when a company really starts to get traction after failing multiple times.
Dream Team Retention Recipe – 10 Ingredients to Keep the Team Together and the Dream Alive
Tell us about your success stories; which are the most interesting companies to have participated in your program?
There are so many stores I want to tell.
- 80/20 Software has grown right alongside us since day 1. Erik failed at his first startup (an ecommerce site) but it didn’t stop him. 80/20 Software now provides custom software to businesses, and employs more than ten people.
- CookieText makes custom cookie cakes and they have caught on fire. Jeanne transformed her garage into a kitchen and makes fresh, made to order cookies all night to deliver them during the day.
- Port Technology Services is helping ease port congestion by providing an uber-like service for shipping containers. They’ve expanded to ports all over the East Coast.
What are the three most important factors startup entrepreneurs should consider when contemplating attending an accelerator?
- Every “accelerator” is different. Some focus on niche markets or certain types of companies, so make sure it’s a good fit.
- Make sure that the goals of the accelerator fit with your business goals. You may not be in the right stage of growth.
- Don’t expect a quick fix and easy answers – it won’t happen. Also, don’t expect them to do all the work. You’ll probably be doing more work than ever.
In search of an accelerator that aligns with your startup’s needs? Try TurboFunder’s Find My Accelerator search tool!
What else would you like to share?
Hatch has over two decades of business experience in starting, investing, advising, mentoring and growing over six hundred companies or projects. These companies have made millions of dollars, been publicly traded, hustled to six figures of annual revenues or failed and realized business isn’t for them. We work with these companies and the people behind them to show them the exact step-by-step route to success. Through things like creating a winning brand to deliver top notch content that their customers are screaming for more, or showing them how to find real customers and get cash coming in the door.
We show companies how to not waste their time and function as a lean business machine. We’ve helped companies create and explode their brands as well as get them featured in publications such as Venture Beat, Entrepreneur Magazine, Inc., Tech Crunch, Mashable, Inside Business and many more. Hatch is a business, just like yours. We solve business problems. We ask our customers and prospects what is keeping them up at night, what are their pain points. We then develop programs and resources to help guide them along their entrepreneurial journey. We are a gym for entrepreneurs.