Collider is unique because of our laser sharp focus on the sweet spot between startups and brands and the commercial benefits they bring to one another.
Name of Accelerator: Collider
Location: London, UK
(Interview with Alexandra Connerty, Community Manager)
This article is part of our Startup Accelerator Spotlight Series featuring accelerators from around the world. We hope these spotlights will assist the entrepreneur should they consider attending an accelerator program.
In two sentences or less, tell us about your accelerator and its objectives?
Collider is an accelerator dedicated to marketing and advertising startups who help brands and agencies identify, understand, engage with and sell to their customers. Collider invests capital in these startups, coaches them through a highly structured programme and partners with brilliant brands and agencies to help them work closely with game-changing tech, introducing their teams to new ways of working.
Why is your accelerator program unique? Please describe the benefits of participation in your program.
Collider is unique because of our laser sharp focus on the sweet spot between startups and brands and the commercial benefits they bring to one another. We enable founders to get the customer feedback they need from real potential customers to scale faster. We also provide corporates with an open window into the startup world, increasing their understanding of new technologies and keeping the dialogue open between the two parties.
What is the most difficult part of working with startups?
Every day is a new challenge. Collider is itself a startup. We ran our first programme in 2013 and we face new challenges all of the time. This makes everything unpredictable, but also thrilling!
What do you enjoy the most; what do you find most appealing about working with entrepreneurial startups?
The energy and enthusiasm of founders who are doing something that no one else has done before. It takes a particular type of person to create something out of nothing. Stubborn, independent and resilient individuals who will stand against everything to create what they believe in. It’s inspiring and humbling every day to be surrounded by founders.
Tell us about your success stories; Which are the most interesting companies to have participated in your program?
Every company Collider invests in is interesting – that’s why we invest in them in the first place!
- Some of the companies currently receiving a lot of press mention are Class of 2013 alumnus Locomizer, who recently raised $ 300 K and won the Clear Channel Outdoor Planning Award.
- Class of 2014 alumnus Seenit, who have been featured in This is Money, Evening Standard, Financial Times and are forecasted to reach £1.5M in revenue for this year.
- Class of 2015 alumnus, Pixoneye, was named one of the most creative companies in England and won the Digital Media award at FYFN this year in Barcelona and raised a £400K seed round in September, 2015.
What are the three most important factors startup entrepreneurs should consider when contemplating attending an accelerator?
This differs for each startup as each company faces different challenges as they set up and scale, but here is some food for thought to get you started:
- Identify the challenges you are currently facing and ask the accelerator team how they can help you progress through these. The accelerator should be able to answer these questions and provide more insights into how they would approach the challenges and support you through them.
- Understand joining an accelerator as a metaphor for gaining a co-founder. Be willing to use all of the resources offered by the accelerator to their fullest. This includes attending networking events, using the mentors and investors to their fullest for connections and help to further your solutions and attending all the programme sessions.
- Be willing to commit fully to the programme and accept the terms of the accelerator deal. We have seen the founders who commit fully to the programme and community and get the most from the experience, both personally and professionally.
What else would you like to share?
Applications for the class of 2017 Programme are now open. We’re looking for the best MadTech startups to join us in London for a December, 2016 start. Last year the founders of the Class of 2016 cohort came from all over the world including Bulgaria, Israel, Mexico, Switzerland and the UK. Applications will be screened on a rolling basis.
In search of an accelerator that aligns with your startup’s needs? Find My Accelerator can help!