Investable companies don’t occur by accident. In fact, the opposite may be true; many companies may accidentally become un-investable. This article is part #2 of a two part series that shares tips as to why startups may be investable enabling them to obtain funding from angel groups and VCs.
Your company might be investable if…
- The company is open to providing information and observer rights or a board seat for appropriate levels of investment.
- You focus on listening to and understanding your customer and their needs.
- Your startup has no significant debt, (beyond Convertible Notes), unpaid accrued or contingent liabilities.
- The startup has a clean “Cap Table” and is without unaccredited investors or complex shareholder issues.
- The startup has no shareholders with non-dilution clauses.
- The valuation of the previous round of financing was reasonable and this round’s valuation is balanced.
- The founders and inventors have embedded the IP in the startup.
- There are no significant lawsuits pending against your startup.
- Neither you nor your startup co-founder possesses a history of litigation against third parties.
Is Your Startup Investable? Take the Test and Find Out Now!
- The addressable, attainable market for the startup’s products or services is reasonably significant, approaching $100M as a minimum.
- Your startup focuses on listening to and understanding your customer and their needs.
- The startup has a reasonable operating runway, is not running on fumes.
See how other entrepreneurs negotiate the startup effort! Business Startup Spotlight
- The filing of tax returns and adherence to state and federal regulatory issues can be validated.
- There are no pre-existing agreements which might cloud an exit.
- New investors can become comfortable they won’t be subject to significant dilution because excess capital will be required in the future.
- The existing investors possess cash flow and are willing to provide a follow-on investment in the upcoming round.
- You and your co-founders view this opportunity as the first of many startup opportunities.
Want your startup to become an investable company? TurboFunder Concept Stage is FREE and Can Help!
Refine Your Accelerator Search with this Free Accelerator Search Tool.